Bienvenidos

¡Hola amigos!

This summer I'll be studying Spanish in Turrialba, Costa Rica, thanks to a generous grant from the Brookline Education Foundation. I'll be posting photos, stories, and fun activities just for you while I'm there. Come explore Central America along with me by following this blog!

Be sure to sign up below for for email alerts so you don't miss any new posts!

Sunday, August 10, 2014

Los Animales del Bosque Tropical Húmedo

¡Hola mis amigos!

One of my favorite things about Costa Rica is that there are so many different animals to see. One weekend we took a trip to a small town called Uvita, which is on the Pacific coast. Here is our first look at the Pacific Ocean as we drove to Uvita:



Because we are so much closer to the equator, the water here is very warm, and my kids swam in the ocean all day long. There are also many small rivers that run from the tall mountains straight down to the ocean, and we did some exploring there — including wading across a pretty deep one! This river is shallow right now, but later it will have enough water pushed back into it from the ocean to allow the boat to float back into town:


In addition to enjoying a day at the beach, we also took a hike through the rainforest with a guide. He pointed out many animals along the way — ones that we might not even have noticed without the guide's help. Because it was so rainy in the rainforest, I couldn't take my own pictures of all the animals we saw. Instead, I found some photos on the internet of all the cool creatures we met on our hike. I used those pictures to make a video for you:


If you would like to check your understanding of the Spanish video, or just want to learn more about each animal, click HERE to read more about them in English. 

The last thing we did in Uvita was hike up to a waterfall:


This waterfall has a cool, clear pool among the rocks. Some people climb up and use the waterfall as a natural waterside, but we just jumped in off of the rocks: 


It was a cool, refreshing swim!

I hope you are having a great summer vacation and getting to do some swimming of your own!

No comments:

Post a Comment